Rotary evaporation is a gentle and efficient method for liquid separation and purification. The basic principle of rotary evaporation is that increasing a sample’s surface area and optimizing its temperature and vacuum level enables a solvent to be effectively separated in as little time as possible. Additionally, a cooling condenser (either dry-ice or recirculating) will enable the recovery of the separated solvent.
Specific rotary evaporation applications include:
- Concentration of solutions and suspensions
- Crystallization or recrystallization
- Solvent distillation and recycling
- Chemical synthesis
Two separate pieces of equipment are at the heart of a rotary evaporation system – a rotary evaporator and a vacuum pump.
Considerations for selecting the optimal vacuum pump include:
- Oil-free operation with excellent chemical compatibility
- Ability to process wet vapors
- Ultimate depth of vacuum
- Flow rate in proportion to the system volume
- Solvent recovery options at both the inlet and the outlet
- Adjustable control of vacuum levels
Contact us to discuss KNF pumps and your unique application with one of our technical experts.