The Design Engineer position will realize KNF's engineering solutions by designing and developing diaphragm pumps for the transfer of air, gases, vapor, and liquids to meet customer specifications.
Essential Functions (Duties & Responsibilities)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Act as the responsible design engineer for a defined set of catalog pump models. Maintain drawings and bill of materials associated with basic pump models.
- Work closely with Sales, Marketing and customers to design and select appropriate pump models to be offered for specific customer applications.
- Modify existing pump designs to meet specific customer flow rate, vacuum, pressure, life expectancy, and cost targets.
- Select motors, bearings, and elastomers from an existing knowledge base to meet intended performance, current draw, and life expectancy.
- Perform bearing life calculations and material stress analysis as required.
- Prepare detailed design layouts, solid models and drawings using CREO/Windchill CAD software.
- Create and maintain bills of materials in SAP.
- Participate in design reviews and obtain design input from engineers, technicians, and other departments as required.
- Work concurrently with test technicians to test and validate new design concepts.
- Analyze test data using statistical and analytical methods.
- Interface directly with supply chain, manufacturing, and vendors as required to maintain pump configuration and costs.
- Work closely with production personnel to troubleshoot problems with product assembly and performance.
- Troubleshoot problems associated with product returned from the field.
- Perform root cause analysis and implement corrective actions as part of the KNF Corrective Action Request process.
- Act in accordance with company policies and cultural programs (LEITBILD and The KNF Way).
Skills and Experience
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Electrical Engineering knowledge, as it relates to AC motors, DC motors, and motor controllers. Basic Understanding of Electrical Engineering Fundamentals
- AC and DC Motor design/operating experience
- A minimum of 3 years of demonstrated product development experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing fundamentals
- Knowledge of machining processes
- Knowledge of materials and finishes
- Tooling and/or fixturing design a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exhibits attention to detail and sound decision-making skills
- Demonstrates organized work habits including, but not limited to, consistency, effort, and effectiveness
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, stand, hear and see. The employee is also regularly required to use hands to handle, finger or feel objects/tools and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 10 pounds, and seldom lift and move up to 25 pounds. The employee will rarely lift and move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to a temperature-controlled environment. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts. There is limited exposure to electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment fluctuates between quiet and moderate.
In addition to highly competitive compensation and bonus plan, KNF offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, life and disability insurances, 401K retirement plan and generous paid time off.
KNF Neuberger, Inc.
Equal Opportunity Employer
***No agencies please***