The basic principle of rotary evaporation is that increasing a sample’s surface area and optimising its temperature and vacuum level enables a solvent to be effectively separated in as little time as possible. Additionally, a cooling condenser (either dry-ice or recirculating) will enable the recovery of the separated solvent.
Rotary evaporation is a gentle and efficient method for liquid separation and purification. Specific rotary evaporation applications include:
- Concentration of solutions and suspensions
- Crystallisation or recrystallisation
- Solvent distillation and recycling
- Chemical synthesis
Two separate pieces of equipment are at the heart of a rotary evaporation system — a rotary evaporator and a vacuum pump.
Considerations for selecting the optimal vacuum pump include:
- Oil-free operation with excellent chemical compatibility
- Ability to process wet vapours
- Ultimate depth of vacuum
- Flow rate in proportion to the system volume
- Solvent recovery options at both the inlet and the outlet
- Adjustable control of vacuum levels
Contact us to discuss KNF pumps and your unique application with one of our technical experts.
Our Products for Rotary Evaporation
Visit our product overview and find the ideal solution for your specific requirements!Go to products